Tuesday, August 20, 2019

HARRY THE BIRD
#
‘I am not really a mammal, I am a bird,’ said Harry to his new neighbour, ‘I mean, not that it makes that much difference. But I just love to spread my wings and get higher and higher and higher, up in the sky, but not so high that my wings melt. Ha ha ha.’
The new neighbour closed the door. ‘Who was that, Robin?’ said his wife, Darshna, from the sofa.
‘Harry, the neighbour from the top. He says he’s a bird.’
‘Hm,’ she said.
‘Never open the door to anyone when I’m not here,’ said Robin. She nodded absently, her mind on the book she was reading about the sex rituals of Georges Bataille. Shortly afterwards Robin went out and a bit later there was a knock at the door.
‘Hang on,’ called Darshna, ‘I’m just doing my visualising what you want meditation.’
‘Wait, you are into visualising what you want meditations?’ said Harry through the door, ‘Me too! We can do it together. It makes it much more powerful.’
‘Oh wonderful,’ said Darshna, ‘Robin never wants to do it with me. He says it’s all just superstitious nonsense. I think that’s what’s stopping it working.’ She came to the door and opened it.
‘No!’ said Harry, ‘this is incredible. You are what I always see when I do my visualising what I want meditation!’
‘Yes,’ she replied, full of wonder, ‘It’s the same for me in reverse. Perhaps the meditation was working after all. What did you say your name was? Harry? Oh Harry, my soulmate. It’s nice to meet you! Tell me, are you interested in the sex rituals of Georges Bataille?’
Later when Robin got home, he found his key no longer worked in the lock. He knocked at the door and a note was passed under it, with a key taped to it. It said, ‘Dear Robin. You live upstairs now. Your marriage is over. But do come over for tea, coffee or a bite to eat sometime. Love, Harry and Darshna’.
Robin took the key and went upstairs. Harry’s flat was almost empty except for an enormous picture of a man-bird god with a huge erection, covering one wall. Robin sat down on the only chair and looked at the picture. Perhaps he had something to learn from it.

#
written by John and Inge in summer 2017

No comments: